City of Ivanić-Grad is situated in the Western Moslavina, along the river Lonja, 40 km east from the capital city Zagreb. The city area has got about 14 500 inhabitants and it consists of 22 settlements. It was for the first time mentioned in the 13th century. The settlement Ivanić-Grad (formerly known as “Lower Ivanić”) evolved from the Ivanić fortress, built along the river Lonja in the mid -16th century for the purpose of defending against the Turks, on a location which in the earlier times served as a marketplace during the annual fairs. In the year 1871 the emperor Franz Joseph signed the decision by which he officialy granted the market town a status and a title of a City.
The most interesting historical building is the Church of St. Peter the Apostle which was finished in 1831 in a late baroque style and abundantly decorated with frescoes. The church is surrounded by a park which was landscaped in the style of the English landscape architecture in the end of the 19th century. In the same park there is a Town hall where you can see the coat of arms from the year 1889 above the door.