It is one of the most harmonious small towns of baroque urbanism on the Dalmatian coast and the best natural one
the port on the island of Brač, where the emperor’s ship was still during the construction of Diocletian’s palace in Split
found a safe harbor. The cove where Milna is located splits into two arms – Žalo and Pantera. Placed
on the western side of the island of Brač, the bay offers safety and peace from all winds, and thanks to that
one of the most famous safe bays for charter during the summer season. Milna is located on the west
part of the island, at a distance of 18 km from the capital Supetar, after which it became the most important
the port on Brač, and it held that role for two long centuries.
As a municipality, it was founded in the transition from the 16th to the 17th century, and developed around the castle that was built by the family
Cerinić from Nerežišća for the defense of his possessions, which the people call Anglišćina, as well as the church of St. Maria
today the sacristy of the parish church. At that time, the place grew around the church, and in 1783 a new one was built
baroque parish church of Our Lady of Blagoviesti. In the 18th and 19th centuries, a municipality, a school, a port office were built,
a church with a bell tower, a rectory, pavements are being paved, staircases are being built, alleys are being paved… Undoubtedly
the port of Milna has been an extremely important anchorage since ancient times, centuries before
the first settlements were created on its shores. It should certainly be noted that Milna is urban
center on the coast of the island of Brač was created relatively late, at the beginning of the 17th century, after it had passed
the destruction of constant pirate attacks, which conditioned the stronger development of settlements in the interior
of the island.
The main feature of Milna’s life and economy in the 18th and 19th centuries was shipping. Naturally facing the sea
it is known for its shipowners and captains whose sailing ships sailed throughout the Mediterranean and far away
oceans. Let’s mention that there were two shipyards in Milna in the 18th century. In the middle of the 19th century shipyards
Milne gave birth to as many as 16 sailing ships. The widely known Dalmatian ship Bracera is its prototype
received precisely in Milna, and its name comes from the Italian name of the island of Brač, which is Brazza. On
at the northern end of the port there is a renovated stone house, which was once the shop of a priest from
Blaca deserts and their window to the world. Another special example of cultural heritage are the Gothic ruins
little church in the bay of Osibova. An interesting historical fact related to Milna is that it belongs to the time
During the Napoleonic Wars in 1820, the Russian fleet had its naval base in Milna.
Located in a bay overlooking Splitska vrata, with three well-equipped marinas, Milna will
satisfy even the most demanding sailors. It is adorned with a long and beautiful coast lined with stone houses, small
masterpieces of folk architecture. The place is dominated by a baroque church with a typical Dalmatian style
bell tower. The interior of the church is rich in valuable paintings by Venetian painters.